Monday, July 10, 2006

Vacation

I have decided to do my own Blog. In this blog I want to talk about my take on the care of the poison dart frogs, discuss my take on new trends in the hobby, and talk a little about the business aspects of poison dart frogs and supplies.

I’m on vacation this week, so I wanted to talk a little bit about the hobby on vacation. The first aspect a dart frog keeper needs to worry about is making sure they have enough to feed their frogs when they are gone, but also enough to feed their frogs when they get back. A lot of hobbyists find themselves in the awkward position of not making cultures before they leave and coming back home to find that they are in a fruit fly crisis. I recommend that hobbyists order a few freshly started cultures two weeks before they are planning on getting back (so they are teeming with flies when they get back).

The Second aspect that needs to be taken care of is vacation feeding. There are many options out there, but I prefer to use the easy method. I just take a fruit fly culture, drill a hole in the side, and pop it in the tank. I use older cultures that are near the end of their life so that the frogs aren’t overrun with flies.

The final aspect is someone to care for your frogs. You need someone to check on and feed your eggs/tadpoles if you are going to be gone for more than a few days. In most cases they will need to check temps as well. If a cold front or a heat wave comes while you are gone, you could come home to dead frogs.

1 comment:

Regan said...

Hello,

Just noticed you here and will check in on your blog. I've recently been turned on to dart frogs and I'm educating myself on how to set up a good terrarium and which species are good for novices.

I'm an artist and I started a blog for my frog art: http://dartfrogblog.blogspot.com